2017 New York City Marathon – Week 1

2017 NYCM Infographic - Week 1

It was my first week training for the 2017 New York City Marathon!  My schedule was tough but I completed all of my workouts despite heat, humidity, a rain storm, and very sore muscles.

Training Schedule
July 2nd – July 8th

Sunday: Recovery Run. 5 miles.
Monday: Lactate Threshold Run. 9 miles w/4 miles @ 15K to half marathon race pace.
Tuesday: Medium-long Run. 12 miles.
Wednesday: Recovery Run. 6 miles.
Thursday: General Aerobic Run. 10 miles.
Friday: Recovery Run. 6 miles.
Saturday: Long Run. 17 miles.

Mileage Total: ~65 Miles

Notes.  I followed my schedule – Pfitz 18/70-85 – to the letter.  I didn’t run close to 15K to half marathon pace on Monday, though, due to the heat.

Goal.  Complete all the workouts.  Outcome:  Success!

2012-2016 NYCM Medals

2012-2016 NYCM Medals

Workout Details

Lactate Threshold Run. 9 miles w/4 miles @ 15K to half marathon race pace [Log Details].

It was a hot and humid day, so I didn’t think it would be wise to run my recent half marathon pace from May which was 7:52.  Instead, I set my Garmin for 8:10-8:30 pace.

During the warm-up, I noticed pain in my right calf.  It was the same pain from the 2017 Eugene Marathon that I thought was a fluke.  When I stopped for water near National Airport, I loosened the laces on my shoes to see if that would alleviate the pressure.  I started the tempo segment a few steps later.  I ran the goal pace fairly easily and at the end, wondered if I took it too easy.

4 miles @ 15K to half marathon pace segment=8:38.  Overall pace=9:06.

Medium-long Run. 12 miles [Log Details].

Despite the Fourth of July holiday, I didn’t allow myself to sleep in.  I knew I needed to start my runs earlier so I could run during the coolest part of the day.  Walking downstairs to start my morning routine, I noticed my right calf and quadriceps were tender.

During the early part of my run, it was eerie how few people and cars were out on the roads.  After a couple of miles, I was relieved when my aches and pains went away and I felt like running!  I was listening to podcasts during this run and one of the episodes was about a young man who contemplated suicide.  Like last week, I found my concerns floating away and feeling more appreciative.

Physically and mentally, I thought this was a good but exhausting run.  I actually completed a nap before 11:30am.

Overall pace=9:17.

General Aerobic Run. 10 miles [Log Details].

I woke up to the sounds of rain.  I thought about running outside anyway but it seemed pretty heavy.  I decided to run on the treadmill.   On my drive to the gym, I saw a runner and thought, “You are such a wimp.”  But, he was the only one I saw so I felt like I’d made the right choice.

I selected the indoor setting on my Garmin and the treadmill for 6.9, which should be 8:42 pace.  I wear a foot pod on this pair of shoes and thought it would be calibrated.  Unfortunately, I saw it was being way too generous with my pace.

I felt great during the run, though.  I found myself gaining desire and confidence about training.  “I’m in great shape,” I thought.  But after the run, I painstakingly edited each lap to reflect the treadmill setting so I’d have a more realistic idea of how fast I ran.

Overall pace=8:27.

Long Run. 17 miles [Log Details].

Since I’m following a plan, I thought I should have more time to think more about executing my workouts this marathon cycle.  The night before, I chose a route.  The morning of, I set my goal pace while fueling up for the run.

I wanted to start out easy, so I listened to a podcast.  I stopped quickly for water on the Custis Trail and a few minutes later, started a Honey Stinger Gold Gel.  It was very sweet so I nursed it for the next 40 minutes or so.

Near Roosevelt Island, I stopped for water again.  There’s still a chlorinated taste to it so I didn’t have much water.  The next few miles flew by.  The trail was crowded, though, and I had to be mindful of people around me.  I saw a friend at Gravelly Point and stopped to chat with him for a while.  Like so many people in the area, he’s training for the Marine Corps Marathon and was also running 17 miles.  I stopped for water again near National Airport and when I reached the W&OD Trail.  I’d been running strong but by then, I started wilting.  (The temperature was over 80 degrees.)


W&OD Flower Garden - 07082017

W&OD Flower Garden – 07082017

After the run, I doused myself in the water splash fountain and then sunned myself on a bench to dry out.  I was exhausted but was really happy with the run.

Overall pace=9:24.


Injuries.  My right calf hurt and I had general muscle soreness (mostly in my quadriceps and hips) all week.  I used The Stick on my calf and it helped quite a bit.  For the sore muscles, I used therapy balls and a foam roller but I didn’t get as much relief.

Sleep.  I tried going to bed earlier so I could get up around 5am.  I wanted to start my runs before it got too hot.  (Hahaha!)  For the most part, I did a good job getting up.

Weight.  After weeks of trying to lose a few pounds and failing, I indulged this week.


Hot and humid every day of the week with morning temperatures in the 75-85 degree range.  Torrential rain drove me to the treadmill on Thursday.

Racing Schedule

Next race2017 Dulles Day on the Runway 10K on Saturday, September 23rd. (My Complete Racing Schedule.)

This entry was posted in New York City Marathon, Training and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply